Week 2, Part A : Communicating

              Social media can be a double edged sword. Word of mouth travels which is good until it's bad. I find that I myself get lazy about leaving reviews when I'm happy with my purchases. On the other hand I'm quick to report then the Amazon driver leaves my package at the wrong door again or a merchant shipped me the wrong item. 


        When there is an issue, the merchant is always quick to remedy the issue with a refund or replacement. This beats the days of waiting on the phone for customer service to investigate the problem. Which some of you might not remember, but I am old enough to remember the elevator hold music and just giving up because it isn't worth the time on the phone.


            As a business owner I wouldn't want myself as a customer. It is encouraging to receive constantly positive feedback from customers and it helps further sales. From a business perspective though an unhappy customer can wreck havoc with social media theses days. I have seen unhappy customers spout off on Facebook about poor service and crap merchandise. 


           If I received only negative comments for my business on social media I would wonder what I was doing wrong. If I only get the occasional random complaint I would chop it up to "**it happens" and make my best effort to correct the issue and make my customer happy. 


           Social Media feedback from customers can make or break a business. For example yelp reviews can not be removed. Even if you try to remedy the issue the negative comments can stay forever. It is important to show you try to resolve any issues, but I think it safe to say we are still stuck with the saying "The customer is always right".

Comments

Popular Posts